Monday, May 30, 2011

Thoughts About Joan d'Arc and Henri de la Croix

Today is the feast of Saint Joan of Arc. When I read the Mark Twain biography of Joan it made me ashamed of my English roots. Twain's book, which many regard as his magnum opus, did great justice to Joan's many fine qualities, even though she was a simple peasant.

When I think of Joan, I compare her to Henri de la Croix, the Great Monarch - Son of David.
Despite her many battles, Joan never stained her sword with an enemy's blood.  Scripture is clear, "Thou Shall Not Kill".

I believe it will be the same for Henri. He will engage the enemies of Christ in many battles but not be compelled to kill anyone, out of respect for the sanctity of human life.

Let's consider for a moment some of Henri's other qualities.
His personal sanctity and holiness will be great.
His trust will be entirely in God, not in generals or princes.
Everything he will accomplish will be done for the greater glory of God, not himself.

My wife and I debate whether he is a family man. I believe he has a wife and children.
My wife believes he is more likely single so that, like a priest, he can dedicate all his energy to serving God through God's people.

I believe that Henri is alive today. He leads a hidden life waiting for the time of his destiny. I wonder does he pray to Joan d'Arc, asking her to intereceed for him with Jesus or does he direct all his efforts to the Mother of Jesus, our Mediatrix par excellance.

We know that Henri suffers from a limp caused by a problem with one leg.
Surely he will be bilingual in French and English and perhaps also fluent in German.
Given how he will cooperate with the future Czar of Russia, it would be beneficial for Henri to speak Russian.

No comments:

Post a Comment